Over the years we continue to add tool after tool to our arsenal, but along the way we have also learned a lot about open source alternatives to everyday software, which led to a shift in the way we work as an office. Instead of running Microsoft Windows on each machine we use Linux as our operating system, and can operate a Microsoft Windows virtual machine if needed. Instead of Microsoft Office we use LibreOffice for our document processing, and so on.
This list was last updated (quickly) on 2014/11/19, and if you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact us! Please be careful with any software that you run on your system and make sure you have an adequate backup in place, especially before installing an operating system!
- Web Browsing
- Mozilla Firefox – alternate browser from the non-profit Mozilla Foundation
- Google Chrome – alternate browser from Google, syncs well with Google services
- MVPS Hosts File – blocking known adware with the Windows HOSTS file
- Adblock Plus – removing ads from the Internet before you see them
- Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) – excellent scan-on-demand tool for viruses/malware/PUPs
- Emsisoft Anti-Malware – paid antivirus with a clean interface
- Farbar’s Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) – diagnostic tool capable of running scripted fixes
- Kaspersky’s TDSSKiller – rootkit scanning tool capable of fixing
- Ubuntu – first timers try this one out, Linux is fun!
- Linux Mint – excellent distribution for media center PCs
- VirtualBox – running multiple operating systems within your OS
- Ultimate Boot CD – amazing tools all bundled into one CD for diagnosis and fixes
- Hiren’s Boot CD – another set of amazing tools all bundled into one CD for diagnosis and fixes
- Parted Magic – amazing tools for working with hard drive info and partitions
note: we plan to update this section more extensively in the future, this list is from the old website and could use some more updating, plus some links to help make it useful. for now if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to us!